Joomla, an open source Content Management System (CMS) and an application framework. Installing Joomla is quite easy in linux. Before set up joomla, your system should satisfies the minimum requirements and your system must have LAMP server. To install the LAMP Server refer the previous article we already explained about the installation of LAMP Server in it. The minimum requirements are PHP – 4.3.10 (Recommended 4.4.7), a database MySQL – 3.23.x or above and an apache web server – 1.3 or above . You must ensure that PHP has been compiled with support for MySQL and Zlibin order to successfully run joomla. Download the joomla package and extract it into the root web server directory /var/www/.
For Example : /var/www/joomla
Create a mysql database for the joomla installation.
open terminal and login as super user
# mysqladmin -u db_user -p create joomla
here joomla is the database name , db_user is the database user name.
# mysql -u db_user -p
In this time the prompt again asks the password.
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON joomla.* TO root@localhost IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’;
here “joomla” refers the database
“root@localhost” is the userid of your webserver MySQL account
“password” is the password required to log in as the MySQL user
If successful, MySQL will reply with
Query OK, 0 rows affected
to activate the new permissions you must enter the command
and then enter ‘\q’ to exit MySQL.
Alternatively you can use your web control panel or phpMyAdmin to create a database for Joomla.
Now fire up your browser to http://localhost/joomla and follow the instructions as per the requirements.
1. Select Language ( Here we select English (US) ).
2. Preinstallation Check
3.Read the License agreement carefully and proceed.
4. Configuration with Database. Here we are using MySQL Database. Enter the hostname, user name, password and database name in the appropriate input box.
5. For Beginners FTP Configuration is not recommended. select No option and click Next button.
6. Enter the appropriate details in the input text box. For Beginners , we recommends to install the sample data.
7. Now the installation process is over, copy the code in the textarea box and paste in a new text file then save it as configuration.php in the /var/www/joomla directory. It is strongly recommended to delete the installation directory in the /var/www/joomla.
8.Joomla Administration Login
9. Joomla web page